The Tour de France starts on Saturday 4th July .
It consists of
- 9 flat stages
- 3 hilly stages
- 7 mountain stages including 5 summit finishes
- 1 individual time trial
- 1 team time trial
- 2 rest days
- so in honour of this great sporting event ,and because we are missing the sea, the hills and the rivers so much ,John and I are doing our own version .
- John’s consists of …….
- packing lots of Scooby-snacks, an inner-tube , a waterproof .
- Then meeting thousands of strangers at dusk in Hackney Fields and cycling 200km overnight to the beach at Dunwich . Queuing half an hour for an ice-cream ( bacon buttie queue is too long ) and then falling asleep behind a sand-dune with a deck-chair over his head. Being driven home by me
- Mine consists of
- a drive to suffolk .2 rest days , a flat walk to the pub/harbour/fish smokerie .An individual time-trial – how long it takes me to run from the beach-hut into the North Sea at 7am .A team time-trial – how long it takes Matthew,Caroline ,Shirley Ann and I to run into the sea ,when we only have 3 pairs of beach shoes between us . A go on a mountain bike and the avoidance of any hills whatsoever